Six of the ten top selling cars in Australia last month were 4WDs – and half of those were utes. Utes have been Australia’s best-selling cars for a long, long time now. The safety, comfort, power, and convenience of a dual cab means that owners have the best of both worlds.
So why do so many ute owners swap their tubs for trays?
- Practicality: a tray makes it easier to load, tie down and move big or unusually shaped gear more efficiently.
- Convenience: a flat floor space with tie down points or side rails makes it easy to use ratchet tie-downs to hold materials securely, be they for work or leisure.
- Storage capacity: whether it’s a new doghouse, a flat pack from Ikea or half a pallet of paving bricks, a tray provides a bigger and stronger area to work with safely.
- Multifunctionality: trays can cope with most things more easily than a factory tub. Camping gear, building materials, a 12v fridge, the kids’ bikes, a load of mulch or shifting furniture can all be handled safely and legally.
- Tax incentives: some business owners can claim their tray as a tax write off or deduction.
IS A TRAY JUST A TRAY OR ARE THERE OPTIONS?
Modern 4WDs are stylish and feature laden, so trays need to look the goods as well. Options including different paint and surface coatings are now the norm for high quality trays. TLX4x4 trays are available in natural alloy, powdercoat or raptor lining finishes. Dropsides and toolbox lids can also be specified in automotive colour matched paint.
Other options include:
- Lockable side toolboxes: Perfect for compressors, recovery gear, ropes, and tie down straps.
- Rear undertray drawer: A hidden, secure, and lockable storage space tucked out of the way underneath the tray.
- Cab rack mesh: A stylish guard that separates the rear window from potentially dangerous materials being carried on the tray.
- Integrated water tank: Made from food grade plastic and fitted with a gravity fed tap it’s great for camping or the tradie cleaning his tools.
- Rear hoop or ladder rack: A perfect match for the front tray hoop, this can be configured for long goods, roof racks or even a roof top tent, not to mention kayaks or tinnies.
WHAT’S ALL THE FUSS ABOUT ALLOY?
A good quality alloy tray is lighter and more resistant to rust and corrosion than a steel equivalent if it’s made well and uses high grade alloy materials. What sets a TLX4x4 tray apart?
- It is roughly 100kgs lighter than a steel equivalent.
- The tray floor sheet is the highest-grade alloy used in the tray and it’s a one-piece sheet that’s fully welded all around. This makes the tray very strong.
- Tray components are plasma-cut on site specifically for each order.
- The head tube is a mandrel bent 76mm unit.
- The headboard uprights run from the head tube to the main runners sitting on the chassis which provides incredibly strong protection in the event of a rollover.
- Stainless steel hinges and fasteners are used throughout.
- Our fabricators are some of the highest skilled tradespeople in the alloy fabrication industry.
WHY CHOOSE TLX4x4 FOR A NEW ALLOY TRAY?
TLX4x4 is a specialist division of TL Engineering, the biggest light vehicle and truck body building business in Western Australia, that has been servicing customers big and small across Australia for 50 years. TLX4x4 has complete control over every stage of the process:
- Customer consultation
- CAD design
- Plasma cutting
- Painting and raptor lining
- Warranty and service
Which all adds up to a number of important things:
- They are locally designed, made, and supported. Here in WA!
- A range of dedicated accessories and options are available, including canopies, driving lights and suspension upgrades.
- TLX4x4 trays and canopies are constantly evolving in response to customer feedback and input.
- TLX4x4 trays have a 3 Year Warranty.
HOW DO I FIND OUT MORE?
TLX4x4 has a full display showroom as well as several demo vehicles on site. We are also happy to show you some of our current builds as they are being made in our fabrication facility. Contact Gino or John to find out more including the full range of options and pricing.